What is #fearfree? The benefit for pets
September 27, 2021
Last week we touched on the principles of #fearfree.
Here is a great example of #fearfree principles in action. This is Benji who came in for a nail clip. Benji is a lovely boy but he gets very cross when he is handled. This is because he becomes anxious and stressed when he comes to the vets which makes it difficult for the team to treat him.
Prior to his visit, his owner had given him a dose of an anti-anxiety medication prescribed by a vet which will have an effect before he arrives. This makes him calmer and easier to handle. It also makes the visit quicker and nicer for him, his owner AND the team.
Find out more
As you can see, with minimal handling as well as a tasty treat, his nails are clipped in a jiffy! To find out more about #fearfree visit the website HERE
Although not currently subscribed to the scheme, we have already implemented MANY of the principles the scheme advocates to improve a veterinary visit for both cats AND dogs. For example:
- Having an owner muzzle their dog instead of a vet.
- Use of colour coded kennel cards to advise staff of temperament.
- Staff using their “canine communication” skills to observe a dog’s mood before handling or undertaking an examination.
- The use of a mild sedatives before a visit, prescribed by a vet.
- Allowing a cat to remain in their cat box during an examination.
- Use of treats to distract and pet during routine treatments such as nails clips.
These and many more processes makes for a much calmer and more pleasant experience for the pet AND much safer for the owners and the team. Stress and fear can also affect clinical measurements too such as blood pressure or heart rate so a calmer pet gives a more accurate reading too!
Contact the Client Care Team if you have any concerns about the health of your pet or their behaviour. You can do this via PetsApp or by calling 01772 639800 OR 01253 766352.
#rowanvets #vetsinpreston #vetsinblackpool #vetsinlytham #vetsinkirkham #vetsinwarton #vetsinfreckelton #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #picoftheday #love #healthypets #goldstandardpetcare #feliway #fearfree