Pets and their environment
April 25, 2022
Our pet’s environment is very important and just one small part of making sure that their health and wellbeing needs are met.
Many people think that our small furry pets; rabbits, guinea pigs, rats or mice, don’t take much looking after. In fact, it is for this reason that many small animals are chosen as a first introduction to pet ownership because of this view. Whilst small animals do make great first pets for families, particularly those with children, they do still have specific care needs that need to be considered.
As part of #nationalpetmonth we wanted to raise awareness of the need to ensure that the right environment is provided for these small mammals and that it’s not as simple as people might think.
Today we’re going to look at the kind of home you should be providing for a pet rat as part of #responsiblepetownership. Things to consider are:
- The right type of and right size of cage. A rat cage should be at least 50cm x 80cm floor space, by 50cm tall with a minimum of 72cm x 36cm x 44cm per two rats.
- Provide lots of toys and activities to mentally and physically stimulate your rat.
- Be prepared to have more than one rat – rats are highly sociable and need It wouldn’t be fair to keep a rat on its own.
- Time to exercise your rat outside of their cage for at least 1 hour per day.
- Regular and thorough cleaning of the cage, at least once a week is needed, with spots cleans in between the weekly clean.
- Choosing the right substrate to minimise respiratory infections.
- Choosing the right diet to maintain good health.
If you’re thinking of getting a pet rat, download our Rat Care Leaflet which contains lots of information that will help you make sure that you provide everything your rat will need for a happy, healthy and interesting life.
If you need to contact the team, you can open a chat on PetsApp or call on 01772 639800 OR 01253 766358
#rowanvets #vetsinpreston #vetsinblackpool #vetsinlytham #vetsinkirkham #vetsinwarton #vetsinfreckelton #photooftheday #instagood #nofilter #picoftheday #love #healthypets #goldstandardpetcare #pethealthplan #petdentalhealth #welovedogs #welovecats #weloverabbits #pethealth #nationalpetmonth #nationpetfirstaidmonth